When Marfy brought out the three free downloadable patterns early this year, I wanted to join in the sewalong run by A Challenging Sew. Unfortunately, life didn’t allow it.
I’ve put them into my 6PAC instead, making the skirt from the same stretch linen cotton as the trousers. I nearly had a disaster cutting out the skirt, as DH distracted me and I started to cut the front with no seam allowance! I had started at the hem edge so just pegged it in a bit, and used the minimum seam I could get away with. I overlocked it for security. The skirt started out as size 44 at the waist grading to 48 at the hip, and I added 2″ in length. It’s a simple style with just darts at the front and back, and a facing for a waistband.
This pattern must have been doomed, because I made up the facing and it was too short. I had some grey grosgrain ribbon in my notions drawer and used that instead.
I had some of the grey lining left over from my jacket so I used it to line the skirt. It’s worked out pretty well.
For the top, I repurposed a pair of silk wrap around capri length trousers a friend bought in Thailand. She decided she wasn’t going to ever wear them, and gave them to me. I could just get this cutaway shoulder top out of them.
As you can see, the top is loose fitting, the front is pleated into a collar, and there is a triangular opening at the back neck.
Using a flash shows the pattern on the fabric. I fastened the top with two grey metal buttons. I finished the armholes with self bias binding. I sewed a piece of black silk organza to the neck opening, then slashed it open and turned and pressed it. I topstitched the organza down and pinked the edges. That was impossible to photograph being black on black.
Anyway these are a nice addition to my wardrobe, and go well with the jacket!
I just have the dress to make now.