I have been working on the Smart Summer 6PAC for weeks now, and now I’ve finished 5 pieces. The colours are silver grey, white and black with a pink dress.
I made another pair of Burda 7447 trousers but this time made the legs a bit wider to give a slouchy summer style. The fabric is a stretch linen cotton from Jersey Fashion in Holland Forgive the creases, but I wore them all day yesterday to Newmarket races! (No, I didn’t pick many winners!) The top is another Colette sorbetto in a silk cotton with a white cotton voile underlining.
The jacket fabric is cotton, I think with a horizonal grey metallic stripe. I got it at a sewists swap last year. I wanted to make a collarless jacket and the 12-2013-11 Burdastyle one looked interesting.
This is a princess line jacket with the lining used as a facing to close the jacket. I chose a jacquard lining in silver grey. I prefer it in offwhite and grey rather than sequins and patterned silk.
I had to study the instructions very carefully to get the front bands correct. The pattern pieces were more than usually inscrutable, but after recutting the centre front pieces it all came together. I cut a size 38 grading to 42 at the hip. After making a muslin I removed 1/2″ from each back piece and 1/2″ from the front shoulder. I also made a 1/2″ sway back adjustment and a 3/4″ fba. These adjustments seem to be standard to Burda and Marfy jackets.
I was quite pleased that I got all the stripes lined up.
The neckband gave me trouble, in that I didn’t interface both pieces to start with, and I couldn’t get them lined up properly. I had enough fabric to recut so I did so and it worked out much better after interfacing both. The jacket is fastened with press fasteners covered with fabric.
This is going to be a very useful jacket in Summer, and Autumn as well with black trousers. I’ll blog about the other pieces soon; I’m really pleased with this 6PAC!