These are the last two pieces of my Autumn 6PAC, a Marfy suit. These patterns were free with the 2012/3 catalogue, so they are multisized unlike the usual Marfy pattern. I cut a size 42 jacket grading out at the hem to about a 44, and cut a size 46 grading to 48( and a bit) for the skirt.
I made a muslin for the jacket and after all my tweaking, ended up with exactly the same changes as my wedding outfit. Next time I’ll start there! They were, 3/4″ FBA, 3/4″swayback and 1/2″ from the upper chest tapering to nothing at the armhole. I made bound buttonholes which I am quite pleased with. I used fusible interfacing instead of hair canvas and padstitch to tailor the lapels and collar. I still taped the roll line of the lapels and added some fusible hair canvas to add shape to the collar. I also made a backstay from calico and added fusible hair canvas chest pieces. This has given a lot of shape and stability to the jacket.
The hardest part of the skirt was the lower back pleats. I had to fold up the pattern piece to understand exactly how it went.
I think I will take in the side seams a little, but otherwise it fits just fine. I had only bought 2.5m of fabric so was unable to put the decorative tabs above the pleats that are shown on the pattern picture. (Sorry I can’t show you this as my scanner is out of action). The pleat section took more fabric than I had anticipated. I also made the skirt an inch shorter than the pattern.
Here it is with buttons done up. It needs a scarf to soften it I think, or a brooch. I didn’t add buttons to the pockets as mine have shanks to them, and would have needed buttonholes made to look correct.
I may not wear this as a suit very often, but I will definitely wear the jacket with black or grey trousers or skirt, and the skirt with neutral tops. I’m pleased with the way this has turned out; I do enjoy tailoring! This is a very useful 6PAC, I will wear all the items I’m sure.