Moving swiftly on from the failed jacket, I made up a cotton voile Sewaholic Alma in two afternoons.
Much better, a pattern that obeys me. I made view B with elbow length sleeves and collar. I made a self fabric collar not a contrast, as I didn’t have any contrast fabric and anyway it looks fine the way it is. The fabric is an Anna Maria Horner cotton voile and feels wonderful. I have made the long sleeve version previously and found I can get it over my head without undoing the zip, so I didn’t bother with putting one in. That made making it much simpler.
I decided to change the facings for a bias binding, and got an excellent result. I used the method that Burdastyle recommended for a blouse in last years issue. ( Comprehensible instructions that time). Cut a bias strip 4cm wide and as long as the neckline (plus a little overlap). Press in half lengthways. Pin to the neckline on top of the collar piece and stitch. I pressed a fold over at the beginning of the strip and then when I got back to it I sewed the end inside. Press and then fold the strip over the raw edge. Sew it down and you have a very neat finish.
I’m going to enjoy wearing this just as soon as I can do so without courting hypothermia! Also, I really would like better light for photos.