I finished this jacket some weeks ago, and it’s been hanging in the cupboard since then. I didn’t love it all, and wasn’t sure if I would wear it. The experience of making it was not pleasant due to my fabric choice. I’ve already spoken about the ecru drill fabric when I blogged about my Knipmode trousers. The difficulty of topstitching it was multiplied ten fold when I got going on this jacket.
Anyway, I cut out a size 8 as usual with Sewaholic patterns. Reading Tasia’s sewalong posts I thought I would try a triplestitch topstitch, which was a terrible idea. My machine’s triple stitch does not have very long stitch length and it was really hard to keep it going straight over the ribs in the fabric.
I decided to reduce the height of the collar by 1″ as I seem to have a short neck, and this was a wise decision, apart from that I made no other fitting alterations. I couldn’t conceive of a jacket with no pockets, so I decided to use Karen of Didyoumakethat’s pocket pdf. They worked quite well, but I didn’t handstitch them on. I thought that topstitching suited the style of this jacket better.
The pockets are nice and deep but maybe a touch narrow for me. Karen obviously has beautiful dainty hands! I tried the suggested cuff elastic width but they were too wide for me; I cut them about 1 1/2″ narrower.
I lined the jacket with leopard print satin, and did a welt pocket instead of the original patch pockets. I like practising welt pockets, this one was not one of my best though. One day I’ll be able to make one without consulting my sewing books.
I like it more now than when I hung it in the cupboard so maybe I will wear it occasionally.
I do plan to make another one, in a waterproof fabric for walking trips. That will have the hood, and side pockets.