We have had such a lovely summer here, such a change from last year when I only wore sandals for a few days. It seemed to call for a maxi skirt. Some people have been making the lovely By Hand London Anna dress but I didn’t really want to spend that much on a pattern.
Burdastyle magazine March issue had a maxi skirt pattern, I can’t imagine why they have summer patterns in March, surely not all their readers are off on cruises?
I thought this would work for me with a couple of changes. The skirt was a bit full for me so I removed 2 inches from the centre front and centre back. Also it has a flounce with piping which would make me look far too short and wide. The model looks as if she has really longs legs so can carry it off. I traced out the pattern without the flounce piece and it was quite long enough anyway.
I chose some aubergine broderie anglaise from Minerva Craftsand lined it with black cotton from efabrics . The broderie anglaise seems to be naturally crinkly, and I wanted to keep it that way. I found it a bit hard to cut out,and harder to press without destroying the crinkles.
I had to interline the waistband as the interfacing was showing through the eyelets. I’m pleased with the way the pockets turned out. This was made a bit more difficult as the skirt zips up the side. The Burdastyle instructions were accurate but obscure as usual. I think I’m more a visual sort of person, a diagram is better than a thousand words in my opinion.
This has turned out to be a comfortable and useful skirt. I shall try rolling it up when it is washed to retain the creases.