In deepest darkest winter here I am sewing lilac silk crepe de chine! I won’t be wearing it like this for months, but we have to plan ahead. Anyway, I wanted it to wear under my black boucle jacket.
The neckline isn’t quite right for the jacket, but I don’t think that matters too much.
To the blouse; I chose to make the long sleeved version with the notched neckline. I cut a size 8, and it fits exactly, hooray for Tasia designing for the pear shaped. I haven’t made anything with a facing for quite a while but it sits perfectly. The instructions are fine, but anyone who isn’t confident with invisible zips will need additional resources.
I was pleased with the way the zip turned out, and of course as it’s in the side seam it won’t be on view much.
Not quite so pleased with my edgestitching, if I was in a more perfectionist frame of mind I would have undone it and resewn. The cuffs are a little wide for me, if I make this again I will reduce the width, and either add another pleat or reduce the sleeve width as well.
The bust darts also seem a bit low to me, but I didn’t tissue fit or muslin before sewing the silk. Next time I will raise them about 3/4″. I like the curved hem; it looks nice when the blouse is untucked. I wasn’t sure about the belt, but I like the effect now I’ve made it.
Normally I would make french seams on a fabric like this, but because you can’t do that on the zipper side seam, I just made a narrow hem on them. I don’t know why but I didn’t really enjoy making this blouse so some details have been skimped. Maybe it is to do with the time of year, so dark, so cold, all I want is wool!
Anyway there are plenty of warm fabric projects ahead.
No, I haven’t had a brainstorm and chosen a completely unsuitable style of coat! It looks like a sack on Matilda doesn’t it? My daughter’s partner bought a coat in a charity shop and it needs a new lining. The old one is shredded, and I’m not surprised. It had no back pleat, and almost no ease at the hem or sleeves.
It’s a woman’s coat but a raglan style with plenty of shoulder room so it fits a skinny lad. He would like the way it buttons up swapped around, so I’ll have to make one new buttonhole.
I think this was made in the early nineties, but for a RTW garment I was amazed to find not a scrap of interfacing anywhere inside. No seam neatening either. I’ll make a lining pattern from the old one ( I can’t bring myself to say- do a rub off; it sounds rude to me.), and if I’m feeling good I’ll make a welt inside pocket.
When that’s out of the way I have this fun project to look forward to:
Camel wool, amber lining, chinchilla faux fur!