This is another make from the May edition of Burdastyle magazine, I really must move onto the September one soon. I wanted a button up blouse with long sleeves, that I could wear buttoned to the neck as is current fashion. I have previously made the short sleeve 5-2102-103 version which turned out reasonably well in spite of my forgetting to make a narrow shoulder adjustment. It was also obvious I should have tried a swayback and added a bit to the hip width.
So, this time I got out the pen, scissors and sellotape and altered the pattern before cutting. I made a 1/2″ narrow shoulder alteration, and added about 1 1/2″ total to the hip width. After reading up on swayback alterations I took about 1/2″ out tapering to nothing at the side seams, added it back to the length, and trued the CB line.
I also lengthened the sleeve to full length from 3/4 as I need the warmth in the autumn/ winter season.
The 104 version has hidden buttonholes behind the front facing which gives a clean look to the front, this looks good when the blouse is buttoned to the top. As usual with Burda, this part of the instructions needs careful reading before proceeding, but it really isn’t that complicated. Just fold in the facing, make the buttonholes, then fold out to the right side, stitch across the top of the facing, turn in and press. The top button was sited a little too far down so the facing doesn’t lie quite flat. After I took the photos I added a clear press fastener which make the collar look much better.
The effect of my alterations is to make it a much closer fitting blouse, but I like it like that.
Here you can see the effect of my swayback alteration.
There are still some wrinkles but I don’t think it’s too bad. If I make this again, I’ll take out a bit more from the small of my back.
The next woven top on my list will be a Sewaholic Alma, and I’m looking forward to trying that pattern out.