Burda 7627 Nightdress and Robe

 

We are going away for a few well earned days break in the West Country, so I wanted to make a light robe to take with me. After rejecting the Big4′s creepy family ones (there’ s something about identically dressed family pictures that makes my toes curl), I happened to stumble across the Burda paper patterns. They are now viewable on the UK Simplicity website , so you can see all the up to date patterns without crawling around the German and Russian websites.

There is a robe, nightdress, top and pyjama bottoms all on one pattern. I made a nightdress and robe out of 4m of 115cm wide lilac polycotton with small dot pattern. I used a stretch lace trim, which was a new experience for me.

I started on the robe first, and it came together really easily. I cut a size 38 grading out to 42 at the hip. I also lengthened the robe about 3″and the nightie by 1 1/2″. Burda paper pattern instructions are concise but they do include the occasional illustration which helps. I had never applied a long strip of lace before; it would have been easier if it wasn’t stretchy. The instructions just advised you to clip the fabric back to the stitching, but I didn’t think this looked that nice, so I did another row of zigzag over the edge.

This looks neater, as you can see I also sewed down the tie to the lace as it didn’t stay in place when I put the robe on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why can’t I ever get a belt tied without twisting at the back? Anyway, the robe fits well. (The camera isn’t straight on the tripod as usual!)

Moving on to the nightie, this was really quick and only took an afternoon!

If I had read the reviews on Pattern Review first, I would have made the straps longer, they do seem exceptionally short. I won’t know if they are uncomfortable until I try sleeping in it, so wait until next week for the final verdict. I cut a 38 and graded out to 42 at the hip but it is a bit snug all the same, so next time I’ll add a little more width.

The straps are formed of a bias strip folded and pressed then sewed over the edge of the front. It makes a neat finish, but if I make this again I’m going to amend the pattern so I don’t have to cut off the seam allowance.  I don’t know if I have an exceptionally narrow back but I didn’t need anywhere near the 18″ length of elastic suggested, mine is closer to 12″.

This would look good in satin, but I find that a bit uncomfortable to sleep in. I think I will make the pyjama and top set another time. I can definitely see more robes in the future so I can have matching sets around the house in summer! I really need a new thick robe for winter, my tatty fleece one should be retired to the scrapheap, so I will have to use a different pattern for that.

About these ads

About starryfishathome

I'm early retired, living in a village and love to sew, knit, make needlepoint cushions, and nurture my cactus collection. Since I came back to making my own clothes, I've learned so much from other sewists blogs, I thought I should start my own.
This entry was posted in Pattern Reviews and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Burda 7627 Nightdress and Robe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s